Watch the above brief five minute video to learn about the basics of a special or business improvement district (SID/BID), what makes the one in South Orange unique and how you can get involved.
In short, an improvement district is a defined area within a downtown or commercial corridor that assesses a fee to the properties within the district which goes towards a budget managed by business/property owners and residents to re-invest back into the downtown. Re-investments can include streetscape improvements, cleaning, security, activities and events, marketing, branding, website presences, grants, loans, and more.
Improvement districts are a common tool used by municipalities, and there are approximately 84 improvement districts in New Jersey currently. However, South Orange's is slightly unique in that:
- Business and property owners were extremely involved in studying the issue, to a higher degree than what is required by the state, and was studied for almost a year before action was taken (Learn more at http://southorange.org/downtown
- The Village will be making a financial contribution to the SID (whereas in many the budget relies soley on assessments)
- The existing structure of Main Street South Orange will be incorporated into the SID's Downtown Management Corporation (DMC), enabling a speedy implementation of this while sustaining volunteer energy
If you would like to volunteer your energy or time in being involved, the board is made up of:
- One (1) member of the Board of Trustees for a one-year term appointed each year by Board of Trustees
- Four (4) persons who are owners of real estate within the District or principals or officers of a corporation or other business entity owning real estate within the District
- Four (4) persons who operate businesses within the District or principals or officers of a corporation or other business entity owning real estate within the District
- Two (2) people who are a resident of the Village, who is neither an owner or tenant of property in the District nor conducts a business therein nor is a principal, officer, or employee of any business entity conducting business in the District
- One (1) member of the Parking Authority for a one-year term appointed each year by the Parking Authority
- The Village Administrator or his/her designee shall be an ex officio nonvoting member of the Corporation
To volunteer visit this link: http://southorange.org/volunteerApply/volunteerApplication.asp